Restrictions one day before PEM scan:
- Limit your carbohydrate and sugar intake – this means bread, rice pastas, potatoes, etc.
- Avoid candy and excessive amounts of fruits as well.
- Vegetables and protein (such as meat, eggs beans, and cheese) are fine and will not affect the test.
- Do not exercise 24 hours prior to the scan.
Day of the PEM scan:
- Do not eat breakfast or lunch.
- Do not drink juices or coffee (not even straight black coffee).
- You may drink as much wateras you like.
- You may brush your teeth but do not have any mints, gum, or hard candy.
- Please take your usual medication.
MRI Scan - Breast
- Patient must be NPO 6 hours prior to exam.
- For comfort, wear loose clothes without metal buttons or closures.
- Patients with pacemakers, aneurysm clips in the brain, certain ear implants, implanted neurostimulators, or metallic fragments in one or both eyes or other surgically implanted devices should check with the Imaging Center Team prior to exam.
Breast Ultrasound Biopsy
Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy is a minimally invasive procedure to further examine an abnormal focus detected via routine breast ultrasound. The biopsy is typically performed immediately following breast ultrasound or can be scheduled after routine breast ultrasound. The biopsy procedure usually takes 20-30 minutes.
During the biopsy procedure, a local anesthetic is placed immediately beneath the skin to numb the area and renders the biopsy largely painless. A small needle is guided to the suspicious area and tissue samples are collected. Samples are then sent to an off-site laboratory for analysis and results are typically available approximately three days later. Tylenol is recommended for any discomfort following the biopsy, and post biopsy patients should avoid strenuous activity for the immediate 24 hours.